The focus will be on literacy and numeracy. The teaching will not be delivered in a traditional lecture style but rather through play or inquiry-based learning. The focus on the program will be readiness for grade 1. We will follow the world-renowned Reggio-Emilia philosophy. It is important to view Pre-K-JK-SK as a three-year program for readiness for Grade One.
While the focus will be on numeracy and literacy, it will be done through using the following four frameworks:
- Thinking about belonging and contributing;
- Thinking about self-regulation and well-being;
- Thinking about literacy and mathematics behaviours;
- Thinking about problem solving and innovating.
We will use the world-famous Jolly Phonics approach to teaching literacy through synthetic phonics.
We know that through play-based learning and a culture of inquiry, children develop a strong foundation for learning in all areas. This includes:
- Problem solving and creative thinking
- Thinking critically about ideas and information in literacy and math
- Learning to think for themselves, understanding their feelings and those around them, recognizing and respecting differences in others, and assessing the consequences of their actions
- Understanding their connections, contributions and relationships with others as part of a group, a community, and the natural world.
- Developing socially and emotionally through their relationships with other children and the educators who guide them.
- Developing as a citizen, through a sense of personal connectedness to various communities, like their class, their grade and their school.